The Dinner Conversation

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

National Cookie Day - Royale Cookies Recipe

This could be one of the most important days of the year for me. It's National Cookie Day.

If you don't know me, I love cookies. I will hurt people close to me trying to get to a plate of cookies. Now, I'm not greedy about it. Cookies are so good they should be shared. Not to mention my mama taught me well. If someone is sitting next to me and I only have one cookie and they have none, I hear my mother's voice say, "Boy, you know better." Then I break the cookie in half and we both enjoy some cookie. I'd like to think one of my childhood heroes, that poet laureate of small, flat, baked treats, Cookie Monster, would be be proud.

"C is for cookie, that good enough for me," he would say.

I've known Dovetail's Pastry Chef, Ashley Dunn, for several years now. I remember when she left Macon to study her passion of baking. She's always been a rock star in my book and even more so when she returned to Macon with the secrets of how to bake my favorite dessert. Now that she works with us at the Moonhanger Group restaurants, I get to hang out with her and her delicious ideas everyday.

I convinced Ms. Dunn to share her recipe for my favorite cookie that she bakes for National Cookie Day. So without further ado, here it is. The Royale Cookie.

The Royale Cookie (AKA Roger's favorite cookies)
Makes 4 dozen

Ingredients

  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes (shreds are also fine)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a bowl of mixer fitted with a padle attachment, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light, smooth, and creamy. About 2 mins. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla
  3. In a seperate mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture just until blended. Add oats, chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts. Stir until just blended
  4. Drop batter by tablespoon or a 1oz ice cream scoop onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Press tops down slightly to flatten cookies evenly. Bake until golden, about 15 - 18 mins. Cool on pan for 2 mins. 
  5. Enjoy!


I did the hard work for you. I got her to give up one of her recipes. Now all I ask is that you think of a restaurant marketing guy once you make them.

Have fun!
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment